Breast Cancer Treatment in Weirton, WV
Breast cancer is a disease in which cancer cells grow in the breast tissue.
Breast Cancer Statistics
- A woman’s chance of developing breast cancer sometime in her life is approximately 1 in 8
- The chance that breast cancer will be responsible for a woman’s death is about 1 in 33
Causes of Breast Cancer
The cause of breast cancer is unknown, but research shows that certain risk factors are associated with the disease.
Are You at Risk for Breast Cancer?
Note – Research has shown that most women with known risk factors do not get breast cancer and that many women who get breast cancer have none of the risk factors listed below.
- Caucasian women, age 50 or older
- Personal or family history of breast cancer
- Changes in breast tissue
- Changes in certain genes
- Increased exposure to estrogen over a lifetime through:Early onset of menstruation
- Late onset of menopause
- No childbearing or late childbearing
- Absence of breast feeding
- Taking hormone replacement therapy for extended periods of time
- Tobacco use
- Increased breast density
- Radiation therapy before the age of 30
- Overuse of alcohol
- Physical Inactivity
- 100 times more common in women than in men
- 2nd leading cause of cancer death in women (second to lung cancer)
Most common form of cancer in women other than skin cancer
- Increases as a women ages
- Approx. 77% of women with breast cancer are over age 50 when they are diagnosed
- 18% are diagnosed in their 40’s
Breast Cancer Prevention and Detection
Early Detection is Important
Because the cause of breast cancer is unknown, finding and treating it early is the best method of prevention.
- Breast Self Exam
- Women 20 or older should perform every month
- Clinical Breast Exam by a Physician
- Women age 20-39 should have one every 3 years
- Women over 40 should have one annually
- Can identify a breast mass as much as 2 years before it can be detected by touch
- Breast MRI
- Breast Biopsy
- Early detection and treatment of breast cancer is the key to survival
- When breast cancer is detected before it has spread to lymph nodes, the 5-year survival rate is 97%
Treatment for Breast Cancer in Weirton, WV
If you’ve been diagnosed with breast cancer and are seeking treatment, contact a cancer specialist at the WMC Cancer Center to discuss the best options for you. Call the office at (304) 908-4617.
For more information regarding breast cancer please visit: